Assessment Practice and Dementia for Approved Mental Health Professionals
This workshop aims to equip AMHPs with knowledge and skills to work with a number of aspects of the assessment process with people with dementia, including working with the expectations of referrers, thresholds for admission to hospital, working with challenging behavior as well as communication techniques with people with advancing dementia. The workshop is underpinned by a focus on using a person centered approach to achieve the least restrictive outcome in line with the principles of best practice.
At the end of the workshop participants will have an understanding of:
- The Code of Practice guiding principles and its implications for dementia
- Understanding and working with challenging behaviour in dementia – tools and techniques – e.g. use of ABC charting
- Use of anti-psychotic medication – good practice guidelines
- Communication skills in working with a person with advancing dementia:
- Validation techniques
- Adaptive interaction
- Interviewing and assessment in advancing dementia – use of life story and observational techniques.
- Working with families and caregivers in a crisis.
- Working in partnership to achieve alternatives to admission where possible for the best outcome for the client.
- Crisis care plans – understanding and using best practice.
- Implications of the new Code of Practice and the Care Act 2014 for assessment practice
- Thresholds for admission to a hospital bed
- MHA and DoLs – interface issues in dementia
- Cultural issues in working with dementia
Learning Methods: Learning Methods will consist of a mixture of direct input, case studies, videos, and practice discussions.
Facilitator: Ben Bano, M.Sc, CQSW, DMS, LTh, Director of Telos Training. Ben is an endorsed trainer with the College of Social Work. Ben was Director of Social Care and Older Peoples Services for the East Kent Mental Health Trust. He has a particular interest in person-centered approaches when assessing older people under the Mental Health Act. Ben has considerable experience in training AMHPs on dementia related issues and over the last two years he has worked with AMHPs in Camden, Barnet, Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Suffolk, and Birmingham.
Implemented and hosted by Canterbury Web Services Limited © 2006-2015